Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hummingbird close-ups

The hummingbirds love the feeder that Sam found for my birthday. Shelly make sure he sees these pictures! Yesterday I noticed they weren't afraid of me so I stood up on a chair about 2 feet away and snapped away. After I loaded the pictures, I cropped them too. Notice the wings in the top photo?
I like how this picture caught her wings without the blur. Their wing feathers are so delicate and not very many of them either.

You can see here that hummingbirds do have feet!

This photo is a neat shot of her back and wings too.
Sometimes my flash startles them or other hummers attacking from above. I think we are seeing her tail in this picture. Lots of fighting going on. I didn't see any males yesterday. It seems early for them to migrate already, they usually leave a few weeks before the females.
I think the last shot is my favorite.

11 comments:

Karen said...

great pictures

Anonymous said...

Wow, great pictures! They should go in a magazine. Ann

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love these pictures! Sam just got home from Scout camp tonight and I'll show him the whole set. I had a friend who had hummers that would sit on her finger. She swore they were the same ones year after year!
Great photography! Shelly & all

Ruth said...

Love the photos. I especially enjoy the way you captured the wings with blur. Thanks The last is gorgeous-you're right.

Ruth said...

Just to mention. Here is a link where photos of hummingbirds are accepted. http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-share-hummingbird-pictures.html

Anonymous said...

You really do have to share these photos. They are remarkable! Ann

aunnielee said...

First, Happy Belated Birthday! Second, F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S photos!!!!!

Martha said...

Wow!! Those are amazing photos!!

Anonymous said...

Vida thinks you should send these pictures to Birds and Blooms! Ann

Anonymous said...

Amazing pics! Its so cool the way you caught their bodies midflight! Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks, everyone! I may check out Birds and Blooms and see if they have an easy sharing procedure. If the weather is nice I might try to get some new photo's on Sunday. I have seen a male and it would be fun to get a picture of him too. The hummers are so possessive of the feeders though and drive any other bird away before I can snap a photo. Laurie