Sunday, May 8, 2011

Rhubarb Nut Bread

As I am writing this, my rhubarb bread is just finishing up in the oven. It smells especially good as it's the first thing I've made with rhubarb this season. I had some sad rhubarb plants growing to the south of the garage that didn't get enough sun so I moved them down by the cabin. It's been 2 or 3 years and this year they are finally taking off. I did read it can take awhile. Junior has the world's best rhubarb plant down there so I thought it had to be a good spot. Here's my very favorite rhubarb recipe:
Rhubarb Nut Bread
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup oil (I sub. half with applesauce)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
Mix all of the above-add:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Mix that gently on top and then fold in with bottom-it's the efficient way.
Next add:
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans

Topping:
2 T white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup pecans/walnuts-if desired

The real directions say to spray 2 loaf pans and bake for 55-65 mn. I use an old fashioned muffin pan and the rest goes in my Scandinavian fluted pan and I reduce the time. Then I don't have such a hard time getting it done in the middle. I have this issue with most of my dessert breads.

7 comments:

Karen said...

That is the same reason I have avoided making rhubarb bread...usually soggy in he middle. Do you have trouble getting it out of your fluted pan? Greasing it well and flouring I suppose helps out.

I moved my rhubarb plants last year so I will harvest very sparingly this spring...not to mention I went way overboard making rhubarb jam last year for Derek and there are about 15 containers still in the freezer.

Laurie said...

It comes out easily, I only spray, no flour. Mine was done with the fluted pan in about 45 mn, muffins about 30.

Anonymous said...

This is a yummy recipe! Ann

Laurie said...

Thank you, Ann. :) Guess what?! I noticed the visitors' guide for the first time today with Sarah's work on the cover. I took three today and pick up more too. It's not a glossy cover like I imagined but it still looks nice and I suppose it's cheaper to distribute. So, I have one for you, Darlene and Sarah, later for me. Who else?

Anonymous said...

I am not sure who else wants one. I guess if anyone request one then you could pick up more. I am anxious to see it. Ann

jen said...

I want one! Save a copy for me please:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie, the rhubarb nut bread was the hit of the "Backroom Bistro" at school, the area of the Science storage space where we keep the coffee maker and an occasional treat. I tried to share it with the kids, they just turned up their spoiled little noses at rhubarb... I will try it as soon as I get to Mom's to harvest a little rhubarb. I would also like to see Sarah's photos on the Visitor's guide. Matthew is staying in Duluth, giving tours at Glensheen for his summer job, so I think we'll be heading that way if we get a short vacation in this summer. Talk to you soon, Shelly