Sunday, January 17, 2010

Birding with Joel & Amanda

Dan and I went to Fergus on Saturday check out the waterfowl on the open water right downtown. I had no idea they were there, so it was a fun outing. People feed them here, so they are quite tame. The grayish colored swan is a juvenile. This photo shows the contrast well. They are so beautiful and nice to see their numbers increasing as they were on the brink of extinction in the last few decades.
I didn't get a picture, but we also saw a cool duck called a Golden Eye. It was a first for me. There were plenty of mallards here too. They stay here all winter.

"Mom, was I adopted???"

I think they look most beautiful in the water. We had a pair in a nearby slough all summer. Hopefully, they will nest this spring. It would be fun to observe them as they're on our gravel road just to the left when you turn off the tar to come to our house.
Their necks are so long and graceful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful birds. I have seen very few trumpeter swans in my lifetime.

Shari