Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another GREEN Post

Tip 7) I think!  Make your own natural cleaning products.  I posted this recipe a year ago but bears repeating.  One part water, one part vinegar, one part rubbing alcohol and a few drops of dish soap.  Use it to clean windows, counters, floors-you name it.  The alcohol helps it dry quickly. I save old spray bottles and keep one filled with this formula.  Baking soda is another great cleaning product.  I sprinkle it on carpeting, rugs, furniture and then vacuum to clean and remove odors.  It's great for cleaning my stainless steel sink and smooth stove-top.  But wait, there's more...it makes an effective, gentle facial scrub when you mix some into your favorite cleanser too.  You can't beat the price either.

Tip 8) Drive the speed limit.  I read recently how much we'd save if we all did this and it was a LOT!  Sorry, I don't remember the exact amount.  Sometimes on my way home, I set my speed at 55 if there's nobody behind me.  I do feel like I'm going pretty slow but it probably makes less than a minute in my arrival time.  I can do more bird watching too.  If I got up earlier, I could drive 55 on the way to work but it would only annoy Jan to have to pass me every morning, so I might as well get the few extra winks of sleep.

Tip 9) Can't believe I haven't used this one yet but REUSE by donating and shopping at your closest thrift store.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy having the BB in town.  Most people I know don't mind getting their birthday gift from a thrift store or rummage sale.  I got Shari some fun items for her birthday and she liked them although I don't think she liked playing "Guess if it came from a thrift store or not" because she really couldn't tell!  I just got a fantastic framed & matted floral picture today for someone else....can't tell.  My cousins Tami & Teri donated some gorgeous prom dresses to the BB and for less than $10, they are going to make some girls pretty happy.   They are gorgeous and very much in style.  Thanks for the other items you donated too, Tami.  We need stuff for teenagers.

1 comment:

the tattered nest said...

great tips! hang in there Laurie...spring is near!