Thursday, March 13, 2008

I've been trying!

In front of the famous Napoleon House, established 1737.  It has great rustic decor inside and a little courtyard.  Napoleon was supposed to stay here in hiding but died before he made it.  Great prices and the best mufalettas around.  We thought they were awesome.  It's a big round sandwich with meat, cheese and lots of green olives.  It's only open from 11-5 so it's easy to miss.  Do you like Dan's new look?  Shirt is NOT tucked in!  He looks nice in this photo but I look a little dorky. :)
Dan in a St. Charles streetcar.  Aren't those old wood benches great?  When they reverse, the conductors flip all the backs of the benches the other way.
This is my favorite New Orleans picture.  This is the first time I've ever seen anyone out tending their flowers or even just out on their decks.  That's not counting the drunks on bourbon street mind you!  Click on this picture to get a close up of this man.  Do you know what the third flag represents?  I don't, that's why I'm asking...France?
Blogger has not been cooperating and I've been trying to download some photo's however it usually fails.  Finally, I got three to come through.  I might try some more this weekend.
We were in NOLA last Th-Sunday.  Weather the first two days was very cool and isolated showers.  Sat-Sunday were very nice but only in the 60's, which felt pretty good actually since there was plenty of sunshine.
On Saturday we toured a Creole plantation that was representative of most plantations during it's time.  Not like the one you imagine from Gone with the Wind.  It was excellent even though it wasn't the one we signed up for.   I'll definitely try to post some pictures of that.
People have asked me how the French Quarter held up from Hurricane Katrina and we couldn't tell a difference from pre-Katrina(April 2005-our first visit) The reason is that it's above sea level, we could see damage in other parts of the city but not where we stayed.  More later.
Good night and have a great weekend!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! There is a takeout place in Hibbing that is owned by a guy who catered many years in New Orleans. I get muffelata sandwiches there - so good. On Fridays he makes jambalaya and I love it. The next time you come up here, we'll pick up lunch there. Hibbing is a good "foodie" place - we have some nice diversity for outstate MN.
Shari