Friday, December 11, 2009

December Reading

This is our December book club selection and I highly recommend it! Rosemary bought it for Mom's birthday and Mom enjoyed it so I suggested it for book club and it was picked for the very next month. We are meeting next Thursday, but I've heard good feedback already. I really liked this book and I think all of my "blog fans" out there would too. Kris is also reading it and enjoying it as well. It's historical fiction about the German occupancy of Guernsey Island which is one of the Channel Islands off of France. It's a collection of letters that altogether tell a painful but inspirational story.
My book club REFUSES to read any more books written by David Sedaris, so I must read them on my own. Nancy and Shari are both fans of his and so is our head public librarian so he can't be that bad. I enjoy his humorous short stories, some are hilarious. Christmas on Ice was one of the books I had my book club try for the second time and that didn't go over either. Engulfed in Flames his newest and I have three stories under my belt, none of which I find offensive at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading the Guernsey Literary book but must of not liked it because I was having trouble sorting out the characters. Maybe I should try again.I only read a couple pages. D

Laurie said...

Yes, stick with it!!! It all starts to come together after you've read 20 pages or so. Definitely worth it. One of my favorite quotes from the book is that "reading good books spoils you from ever enjoying the bad ones."

Anonymous said...

Do you think your book club would enjoy reading about Chelsea Handler's one night stands? I could loan you my copy? The last new book I've read was "The Homework Machine" with my fourth graders. One of my boys said it was the best books he's ever read. I like my fourth grade book club. I get to pick all the books.

Shari