Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Most Recent Read

I just finished The Book of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring. This is a book that I picked up at a thrift store a couple of years ago just because the front cover intrigued me and the description sounded good. I finally got around to reading it and it ended up being a very good book in my opinion. Here's a nice review it got on Amazon, let me know if you'd like to read it. Out of 80 reviews it had 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

I have been reading a plethora of genres for 40+ years, and every once in a wonderful while I stumble across a masterpiece that fortifies my love of prose. "The Book of Bright Ideas" is a precious gem among the junk jewelry of average reads. Button, narrator, gifts a summer to remember as her new best friend, Winnalee, blows into town in a beat-up pick-up driven by her sister, Freeda. Fierce, fearless, and opinionated, 10 year old Winnalee is bound to stir up Button's quietly sad childhood. Through their myriad of adventures, planned and NOT SO PLANNED, life lessons are earned. So many life lessons that Winnalee and Button strive to savor them in "A Book of Bright Ideas," which will quarentee their happiness in the future. Oh, that it could be true!


Kring has a gift of vivid description, rich dialogue, nearly ethereal insight and flavorful charm. Like Harper Lee, Sue Kidd Monk, Kaye Gibbons, and other greats, her work demands and receives your full attention and your deepest respect.

This is brilliant writing at it's finest....read this book and remember why you ever started reading in the first place.

No comments: