Thursday, November 18, 2010

Poor Mollie

We found out this week that Mollie has diabetes. She had been losing a lot of weight and was drinking and using her litterbox a LOT. These are the first symptoms owners usually notice. She is doing very well and needs two insulin shots a day. Dan is great at giving them and I'm thinking he would have been a very good small animal vet. I've done three now and the needle is so fine that Mollie doesn't even seem to notice. I hate giving her the shots but have to when Dan's gone. We hope that in the future she will be okay on diet alone but our vet says that for now we should just work on getting her down to one shot per day with the diet change.

Did you know that canned food is better for your cats than dry because it has more protein and very little carbs/sugar? Even cheap canned food is just fine as long as it's not the kind with gravy, which has high fructane sugars. Cats eat mice, which are almost pure protein, they do not need carbs. I was surprised by the research I found online, but it makes sense. Many cats do fine with dry, but could use a little canned now and then, mixed in with the dry as a treat. It has more water which they need too. Something to think about if you have a kitty in your home.

I should mention that Mollie is doing just great, her fur seems softer already with the canned food, she's kind of lazy but she's always been that way. Weight and inactivity predisposed her to diabetes. Being a Siamese was another factor.

5 comments:

jen said...

Hi Laurie-
Sorry to hear about Mollie....we do feed Skittles canned food daily. So, I was glad to read we are doing the right thing! See you next week:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie -
I haven't been to your blog for awhile. You have a lot of nice things here. Sorry about the cat. We switched Polly to an all-protein dog food (not canned though) based on some reading I did. She seems to like it better too. Hope you're well. I wrote the comment about The Help too, but it showed up anonymous.

Emmy Cat said...

GET WELL SOON MOLLIE!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that Mollie is feeling so much better than she did before. I hope she will get down to one shot a day soon.

Shari

Unknown said...

Sorry to read about Mollie. Sounds liek sh eis in good hands. I will add some canned cat food to the dry we usually give our cat, Tommy. Thanks for the tip :)