Monday, August 2, 2010

Educational Reads

I am reading and LOVING this book (2009) by Donalyn Miller, who is a 6th grade teacher. She has a blog too which makes me very happy. This book validates the way I'd like to teach 5th grade reading this year. She is a strong advocate of self selected reading and has also changed the way I will use my novel units as well. There happen to be two copies at Thorson Public Library which surprised me. I ordered it this morning and when I saw they had it I drove right in to get it and have been reading most of this hot day, inside and out. I also ordered Readicide by Kelly Gallagher and The Reading Zone by Nancie Atwell-middle school reading super star.

I have exciting news for you...the Vintage Cottage Tour is tomorrow afternoon so I should have some good photo's to share. There will be 5 of us going this year including Ann!

Flekkefest is coming up this weekend and I registered Mom and I for the 5Krun/walk. It's the first for both of us so it will be fun to do it together. Hopefully the dew point will be lower-yikes, it is sticky out there. I'm going to do some face-painting at the library on Friday morning and hope to hit a few garage sales too. They have 30 or more crafters signed up to exhibit in front of the courthouse this year-that should be fun! Anyone up for trolling this year?

The only other thing I have to tell you is that I made home-made pesto for the first time. It turned out pretty good, even if there were a few plastic chunks of my spatula in there-darn blender. Think I will use the hand blender next time as I finished with that and it seemed to work better. Anyway, it was much better than what I buy in a jar but about the same as what I get at Trader Joes.
Stay cool out there, dew points drop some on Wed, then even more on Thursday-thank goodness!

3 comments:

jen said...

Hi Laurie!
Can you post a link to the blog? I'm interested in learning more about her thoughts/ideas. I am officially back at work and excited for the upcoming school year!
Good luck on your 5K on Saturday, I'll be thinking of you:) I am registered for a 10 K on the 14th, I just hope the weather cooperates. The girls and Eric are still in Colorado and are coming home on Thursday. I have been keeping busy cleaning out the girls' closets and bedrooms.
Have a great day!!

Karen said...

I was thinking maybe you would do the tour. I will look forward to your pictures. I had planned to go this year but with the heat and humidity I decided to stay home as we have been hauling corn in this weather and I am all played out for now.
I was thinking about coming to EL for the festivities but will have to wait and see. May be going to DL for a get together with my Longaberger group.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I went out for a three mile run at 7 am and it was pretty uncomfortable. All of my runs lately have been in muggy conditions, so if it's hot that morning I'll be ready. Drink a lot of water the day before. I'm looking forward to running it with Paul. I downloaded a few new songs onto my Ipod yesterday.

I'd like the link to that website too. I'm starting to get into the teacher frame of mind too.
Shari