Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Random posts

I spotted the first house wren on Wednesday night.  He was on a feeder which is very unusual but then I realized he must be eating the ants off of the oranges since they are strictly insect eaters.  I've always liked these tiny birds because they eat so many bugs including mosquitos but didn't realize how nasty they are to other birds and their eggs.  They use those sharp little beaks to destroy other bird's eggs  who dare to nest in their territory.
David Cook won tonight!!  I taped it because we had the senior first grade reunion pizza party this evening.  The party was fun but back to Idol, I predicted David A would win after a flawless performance on Tuesday night.   You know that David C has been my favorite, not only for his voice but also for his boots and jeans-very nice.  
We had Jan's retirement party on Friday night and it was a great success.  It was very well attended and we had a wonderful potluck.  I had hoped more people could be outside but the winds picked up to 30 mph just as the party began at 4.  Luckily, the cabin was huge and had great views so you felt like you were outside.  Jan, Melissa and I spent the night there and enjoyed a gorgeous calm morning with our coffee, scones and strawberries.  It was so peaceful.
I started hanging some clothes out on the line this week-nothing smells/looks like summer more than sheets on the line.  I bought some pillowcases at the bargain bazaar on Saturday while working-they are so pretty.  I love hanging vintage linens out on the line.

It was Warren's birthday on Sat and the whole family came over for dinner.  We planned to grill down at the cabin, but hurricane winds forced us back up to the house-my very messy house. I don't think they cared! :) I have a great photo of Warren & Ann to post when I can locate my camera.  Ann, tell Warren that I picked up the red Hawaiian shirt for him to go with his new shorts!!! Would anyone else like a Hawaiian shirt?  You know where I can find them.....and it's not Hawaii.

Oh yes, there was one more event, the baby shower on Tuesday for our janitor and my carpenter friend Al. His wife is expecting in June.  It went great too, lots of cute outfits, yummy bars, coffee & punch and then at the end Shirley had a fun surprise.  She called the BB that afternoon and asked them to pick out the cutest/best baby boy outfits and fill two bags full.  So the ladies working got busy and picked out at least 20 outfits.  There was a special-fill a bag for $4 so not a bad deal!  Al and his wife thought that was cool.  

Things are slowing down, only book club tomorrow.  We're meeting in Alex for a special end of the year meeting.  I think some of us plan to carpool since gas is $100 per gallon, okay not that much, but yikes!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for having us over on Saturday for Warren's birthday. It was too bad about the gale force winds at the cabin. But it was fun just the same. Your house was not messy! I am looking forward to the Hawaiian shirt for Warren! Ann

jen said...

Hi Laurie!
We are all ready for the AI concert. I bought tickets last weekend for Shelly, the kids, the girls and myself.
Have fun in Jackson!