Monday, March 23, 2009

Trumpeter Swans and Flooding

This morning on the way to work I was very surprised to see that where the Golf Course Road meets 79 was totally under water.  It was about 15 feet of water not more than foot.  After driving through it a pair of trumpeter swans flew  right along side of me for 50 yards or so.  They were gorgeous and looked just like this pair that I Googled.    I suppose they could have been tundra swans as they are almost identical but I don't know if people see them around here or not.  Joel would know.

On the way home, the Golf Course Rd was closed (much more water this afternoon than am) so I had to go all the way around to the interstate and then took the gravel roads home.  It is really a mess out there and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we're late tomorrow due to flooding.  Our gravel road on Sandy Point is not in good condition but still very passable.  Going down the point there is a 1 foot wide/deep gorge going down the side of the road. It looks like a waterfall. Unfortunately, most of the sand and gravel is going right down the hill into Jan and Gary's back yard.  I walked down there earlier this evening.  More thunder and lightening here for about an hour this evening.  So, that's the weather report in our neck of the woods.  Not good at all.  Drive carefully.

No comments: