Sunday, January 9, 2011

Soup Days


These cold January days call for hearty soups on the stove. Today, I will share my favorite with you. I used to make it all the time when we were first married. I made it again today and it's called Hobo Soup in the Trinity Cookbook on page 260. It's from our neighbor on the farm, Margaret Kjeldahl who passed away a couple of years ago. She was such a nice lady. Linda Hansen's recipe is on the same page and almost the same.

Hobo Soup

1 lb hamburger (I use 1/2 or less)
1 cup chopped onion (I use 1/2)
1 cup tomatoes (canned or fresh)
3 cups water
1 c carrots
1 c celery
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 c diced potatoes
1 c chopped cabbage (I often skip as I don't usually have)
1/4 cup rice white or brown, add more if you like it thick
3 tsp salt (I add 2 tsp pepper too)

Brown hamburger and onion. Add other ingredients and cook until vegetables are tender 30 mn or so. Linda says that it freezes well too. I love it for leftovers as it just gets tastier. It seems like a healthy soup, uses ingredients you probably have and it's so easy.

5 comments:

Karen said...

We must all think alike on cold days. I stewed a chicken yesterday and then made a creamy chicken noodle soup. I did not have carrots and wanted Jeffrey to go to town to get some. He said the soup could do without carrots. We had the leftovers tonight with some homemade beer bread. I did not have any prepackaged mix so I googled the recipe and could not believe how unbelievably simple it is. I substituted 1 cup of wheat flour for one of the three cups in the recipe. No more buying the prepackaged (and expensive) mix. I ladled the remaining broth into freezer containers and now have 4 containers of homemade chicken broth to use this winter for other recipes.

I have been a house hermit since I got home from work on Friday night so I have gotten many things done-including some serious cleaning and putting away the rest of my Christmas decorations. I can't quite bring myself to put out all of my regular decorations out since they tend to be "springy".

Tell me more about that moss thing. I have a spread of it on the north side of one of our sheds. I have relocated some of it to the stepping stone path near my garden path. If I could bring it in like you do in a glass cloche that would be great.

Anonymous said...

The soup looks really good. I will have to try it. We have soup suppers at church. If it is a winner I could bring it there. Ann

Anonymous said...

Karen, I just peel the moss off the trees and it comes off so easily and there is a ton of it around our house. Then you should lay it on a bed of soil and keep it moist. It stays nice and green for a long time if you keep it covered. If not it dries out very quickly and turns brown. Ann, it would be great for a church supper as it's very economical to make large batches. Laurie

Danette Fettig Halloran said...

Yum, I am going to make this tonight!

Anonymous said...

Whenever I make soup I try to freeze at least a quart of it to use for another meal. I haven't made any in a while. We had lasagna for dinner tonight. I made two square pans and froze one. Tomorrow we are eating at the China Buffet - Ellen's choice for her birthday. I'm sure it will be fine, but we're going to need to make her into a fan of the Bach Yenn - a much better place.