Thursday, March 8, 2007

Barred Owl

Isn't this owl a beauty? He showed up in our yard one day last winter and stayed all afternoon. At first we were so careful in the house so that our movement near windows wouldn't scare him off until I got a good photo. After a couple hours I decided that he was scaring away the cardinal that I wanted my parents to see so I went outside and tried to scare him off. He just looked down at me and frowned in an owl-like way. I then began to wonder if owls ever attacked people and went back inside the house. He left in his own good time and that's the last we ever saw of him. We had some vole tunnels in the snow under the feeders and I think he may have been hunting them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw a cardinal mentioned in your blog it reminded me that this morning when were getting out of the car at church, I heard a bird singing. I looked up and saw a cardinal sitting at the very top of the tree. What a thrill. Spring is on it's way! Darlene