Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bear Scat

The bear was in our yard again last night as evidenced by this pile of bear poop....
It was located about 15 feet from our front door. I did a little research and this is exactly what bear scat looks like when they are eating berries. Google it yourself if you are really interested in comparing. Raccoon scat is much smaller and tubular. Aren't you glad you know that? Also, bears rarely stop to chew their food, thus the perfectly formed berries you see. In case you are wondering, it really doesn't smell, not at all compared to dog or cat poop. That ends the science lesson for today!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disgusting, and yet fascinating! I didn't know that about bears. Have you contacted any wildlife personnel in your area to let them know you have a critter in your yard?? Might be best not to wear raspberry scented lotion outside for a while! :)

Laurie said...

The DNR has already been notified by a neighbor. Unless it starts doing some major damage, I'm not really concerned. People in Wendell have spotted bears too and that's about 15 miles away. We're probably going to be seeing more of them.

Shari said...

Iron World has an exhibit this summer called "The Scoop on Poop." It's cheaper to look at pictures from your yard. Interesting, but icky.

Anonymous said...

I guess this answers the question:Does a bear s--t in the woods? No, He goes to Lauries.

Laurie said...

Hey Anonymous! I like that. I thought about calling this post "Does a bear shit in the woods?" And then writing below the picture-No, just in my yard. Wasn't sure if my refined readers would appreciate all the poop references!!!
Shari, I think the poop exhibit is a class I could lead at this point. Just have to brush up on the other critters.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

OOOOKKKKK...I am a medical/ nature science geek so I find this unnerving but interesting...