Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Old Wool Blanket & Cats

When I was working at the BB on Saturday, this blanket was all rolled up and it caught my eye but I never got a chance to take a good look at it, plus it was $15. I stopped in today after school and unrolled it to check for damage. Besides one small spot,( that doesn't even go through) it's perfect and it's reversible. I was very happy to see the rosy brown color and pretty blanket stitch. The cats weren't supposed to be a part of this post but what can you expect?!
So I brought it home for the cats' approval. It took them about 15 seconds to lay on it once I spread it out for photo purposes.
I did a little research online and this company started making blankets around the turn of the century. They also donated 250,000 blankets to soldiers during WWI. It's a brushed wool (full sized) that has a very nice weight and is super soft. Similar blankets seem to be going for $85-125 on the web. Mine will not be for sale, we can put it to very good use in our house, not to mention the kitties.
Shadow would like it to be a rug.
Big Kitty inspects the label.
I thought Big Kitty might be under there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very cool blanket. I hope your cats let you use it.

Shari

Laurie said...

Yeah- I hope so too-wait til Mollie finds it.

Shari, I forgot to tell you that Kris found another figure for you. One of my students delivered it from Kris's bus, so I showed it to her. She wasn't very impressed even after I explained that you have a very extensive collection. You will like this one.

Anonymous said...

I picked up a wool blanket there on Friday Aft, they had 3 really pretty ones. I wondered if Shari was till collecting those. Hadn't seen that one ever!

Laurie said...

Hi Kris,
Were the other blankets similar to mine? What does yours look like?

Anonymous said...

Someone picked up a statue for me last week. I added it to my shelf and counted them - I have 57 on display in my classroom. My kids are funny. They know to praise the latest addition. I'll have to take a picture of the shelf and post it on Facebook sometime. It won't be long until I am in the market for another shelf. Thanks for the new addition, Kris. I look forward to seeing it.

Someone gave me a Pyrex bowl today. I was pretty excited about it. It was the large bowl that I did not have in the cute little mushroom pattern. I now have a complete set - total cost was less than $2. It makes me want to start hitting garage sales again.

Ruth said...

It's very beautiful! And it looks so different from my Orr that you saw at my blog. I never saw any like yours.

You have a lovely blog.

Jan said...

What a beautiful and unusual blanket! I have an Orr blanket from my mother -it is blue and has a Dutch motif. Makes me miss her . . .