Thursday, August 16, 2007

Arboretum pictures






Last Monday, we visited the Mn Arboretum in Chanhassen. What a beautiful place! Nancy has a family membership. David took the kids to explore so Nancy and I could could explore at our own pace. :) The Japanese tea garden was very lovely and the rose garden was wonderful too. It's too hard to pick a favorite. We had a yummy lunch at their cafe in the visitor center, visited the gift shop and then got back in the van for the 3 mile drive around the property.
This week has been pretty quiet. Mom came up Monday to spend a couple of nights at the cabin. Kris spent Monday night too. On Monday, Mom, Kris, Audrey, Kathy, Jeanne and I bummed around Alex and Osakis. We had lunch at Clara's Barn and then had a tour at Carlos Creek Winery. They have 9 cats on the property and the 4 we saw made mine look almost small. I think Nola (BK) would fit right in. Wonder if they'd notice an extra fat cat laying around the winery.
On Tuesday night, Dan and I went to a birthday party for Mary Myron at her daughter Missy's house. It was a very nice evening, the food was great-steak & crab!
Yesterday, Mom took off around noon. I had book club down at Jan's cabin last night. We read Gift from the Sea and the group was split. Some liked it quite a bit and some thought it was boring. I fell asleep twice reading it yesterday afternoon so I guess I found it a little boring but it did have a good message.
Nothing on the agenda today! I like those days as they are numbered. Dan just hand delivered my class list which came in today's mail. I'm excited as I think I have a very nice class! 17 kids, not bad at all. We have a new principal and it will be fun to get to know him too.
We hope to take the tree down by the cabin, the one that is split already and gives us nice shade over the pergola. I hate to lose it but we have no choice. On Saturday we are driving to the cities for the state baseball tournament. David will play with the team on Sat so we will be stay with the Floms on Sat night. On Sunday, David has a meeting so he can't play. Next weekend, they play AGAIN in the cities! Well, that's all for now. Enjoy the cool weather we're having. I know I am!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote "Gifts from the Sea" while on Captiva Island. She and Charles used to stay at a small cottage in the area where Tween Waters Resort is located. The cottage is no longer there. This would have been at a time when you'd have to the island by boat. I've read her journals and know that they had absolutely no privacy, so I can see why they liked it there.

Laurie said...

Yes, I told my book club that she wrote the book there and they thought that was interesting. I remember the Victoria article about the time they spent there that I believe I sent to you. Nobody in my book club has read any of her journals. I read them about 15 years ago and would like to read them again some day. They are very interesting and she writes a lot about her homes, decorating, travels and gardening which I found very entertaining.

Anonymous said...

I envy the time you get to be with your sisters. I get to be together with them once a year. We need to get together more often. We aren't getting any younger. Doris and Joelle are coming down some time this next week. So will spend some time with them. We had almost 4 inches of rain this morning. the $60 worth of dirt Dad put around the house helped keep the basement dry. Eventually though we need to put eaves up. It least we got through this last deluge. It is supposesd to rain tonight again.