Sunday, April 6, 2008

Kingfishers!

I've been keeping my eyes peeled on the way to work and back for this guy.  There have been many red-winged blackbirds but finally on Saturday morning I spotted the first kingfisher at his post above the Pomme De Terre river.  These birds are so much fun to watch along the shore.  They nest in holes in the abundant clay banks on our lake.  They perch on overhanging tree branches or sweep the shore looking for small fish.  When they find one, they bring it back and whack it to death before they eat it.  Watching them grab a fish is cool too as they use their strong beak like a dagger.  I'll see if I can find a video to post.
So, on Saturday, I worked at the thrift store.  I spent most of my time picking through large piles of sweatshirts and tshirts in the holding area for prettier spring pieces to sell up front. There were some fun items and many of them sold right away. There were many shoppers, it has become a pretty popular place.  Luckily, still many volunteers or it would quickly become overwhelming.
Warren, Ann, & Sarah came over for dinner and the final 4.  Fun to grill again.   We enjoyed watching the Mn player (Cole Aldrich #45) from Bloomington on the Kansas team.  We watched him play David's team last year so that was pretty cool. 
 Yesterday was so beautiful, I actually enjoyed washing windows.  We opened up the screen doors to the deck for a few hours, can't wait to sit out there again.  Today is much cooler and we had some rain last night, nothing this morning, just very gray, better than snow!  

No comments: