Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cardinals??

I was beginning to worry about the cardinals this fall as I haven't seen them in the last few weeks.  It's not like I've had a lot of time for birdwatching but they're usually the first birds at the feeder in the morning and the last in the evening, so I have a good chance to see them.  Tonight I was reading a magazine out in my favorite spot (sky chair) and heard their little pips and sure enough they were down in the lilacs too scared to approach the feeder due to my presence.  So I moved up to the deck and sure enough, 2 females and 2 males came out of the shrubs to feed.  It sounded like more were in the lilacs so maybe they had a successful breeding season this summer.  They can have 2 batches if all goes well.  The male who always fights his reflection and pecks loudly at our window hasn't shown up since early spring.  He was at least 3 or 4 years old and I have no idea how long they live but that is old for a songbird.
I plan to watch the VP debate this evening.  I think it will be fairly entertaining as they seem to be polar opposites!  Dan has been in SF since Sunday and will return Friday evening.  I don't think he's ever spent that much time there in one trip.  He said the weather is just beautiful out there but it's very nice here too!  This week went so fast, hard to believe it's Friday tomorrow.  We plan to see baby Grant on Saturday and hook up with Andrew when we pass through St. Cloud too.  

No comments: