Sunday, April 15, 2007

Scraping & Priming

That's what Dan spent the weekend doing anyway! This picture shows Dan just getting started with the priming on Sunday. He scraped most of Saturday and primed about half the cabin today. In the background you can see that the lake is mainly frozen on this side of the lake. Our cabin neighbor "Junior" told us that this side of the lake is always the last to open up. He is kind of a character and you will probably get a chance to meet him if you spend time at the cabin this summer. He's in his eighties, usually wears plaid and always has a cigarette in hand. He and his wife have a darling red cabin two doors down, you can't miss it.
So what did I do all weekend? Well, I brushed away about a thousand spider egg sacs so that Dan could work and I worked in the kitchen. Those watermelon cabinets needed 2-3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint. When they're up I might give them another coat. When Al gets the new cabinets on top up, I'll snap a new photo. It's nice to walk into the kitchen and not see the watermelons. We decided that we will keep the watermelon picnic table though...that's kind of cute. I also put one coat of "mother nature green" in the kitchen. Most of the kitchen will be white so I thought that would be a nice blast of color above the wainscoat.
Do you know what was the easiest improvement in the kitchen? Taking the lime green curtains down. There are new French paned windows in the kitchen and I have no idea why you'd want to cover them up. Right now I'm thinking that they require no curtains and that will help give the tiny kitchen an open feel.
Well, this is getting to be a very long post, but just one more thing, we've been hearing the loons all weekend, but this morning I actually saw the first one. I saw it from our bay window in the house. I guess that at least one pair stays but the rest move on after a few weeks. Can you believe that week ago we had a couple inches of snow on the ground and it was about 20 degrees?!! I think we got close to 70 today!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your comments. we went to a concert this evening at Fairmont. We took Jim's Aunts to the Weavers. This was very good. The oldest is 92 and the youngest is 81. We had a good time. . GOt home at 10:30. We are still upand it is 11: 45. Pretty good for people in their 70's. Right? Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Just read the rest of your blog.Don't how I missed it.You and Dan have been very busy. Thanks for the pictures also. It was very nice day today. went to Bible Study after work . I walked over to Betty Johnson's.Just needed to be outside. Talk to you later.

Emmy Cat said...

Remember to let us know when you need help painting! We would love to help! Now that tax season is over we need a new diversion!

Anonymous said...

If the weather is right and you want to help prime this weekend, c'mon over! Later, I'll need help with some interior painting and landscaping. We'll do the exterior color after the shingles are up mid to late May. It will be hard to wait that long. So there will be lots of opportunities for anyone who has time to lend a hand. I'm sure more things will pop up this summer too.
Thanks! Laurie