Sunday, July 20, 2008

Madison Memories

This is the farm where Mom lived 5 miles west of Madison until she was a 9th grader and moved to Cyrus.  Many of the buildings are still there including the barn but the original house burned.
This is the screen that you can see in the photo below that was used for school performances.  It is in excellent condition and if you click on the photo you can see all the advertising in much greater detail.
This is the Skelly gas station that was three doors down from my Great Grandparent's (Loney's) home.  We played here often and especially enjoyed the city pool that was down the street a couple of blocks.  This is where we learned to swim and had a great time playing with our cousins.  I remember that you had to be able to swim across the pool before they would let you jump off the diving board.  I also believed my cousin Patty that if you peed in the pool there was a chemical that would form a colored ring around you...a ring of shame!  I bet the lifeguards got that rumor going!  I never tested the theory.
If you enlarge the photo, you can see the corner of a brown house that belonged to my great grandparents.  It used to be white.  It looks like it's in good condition.
My great grandparent's church.  Grandpa Loney's funeral was here not that long ago.  It's a very neat old church.
This is the farmsite of our Great Grandpa Anderson's home.  It's right next to RoseMary's parent's home, west of Madison. (Burt & Alva Schuler)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, what a lovely, special weekend you had. I enjoyed this post. Dantte