Monday, July 14, 2008

My tomato plants


Aren't they lovely?

I have an olive grape tomato and roma tomato in pots.  They were doing pretty well until 3 days of hurricane force winds (I am NOT exagerating) over the weekend blew off and dried up many of the flowers and little tomatoes.  On Saturday I moved the pots to a more sheltered spot but the worst damage had already been done.  The romas are faring the best at this point and I hope to get a few measly tomatoes from them.  
Onto more gardening woes...the slugs are devouring my hostas down at the cabin.  I researched the problem and have decided to lay board traps instead of beer traps.  First of all, the little slugs don't deserve the beer even if they will die from it and mainly the boards sound easier.  You lay an old piece of wood near the hosta and during the day the slugs will congregate under the board to escape the sun.  You scrape them off and smash them with a  rock.  I will let you know if it works.  I had slugs in Morris too and let me tell you they do like beer!  

4 comments:

Shari said...

My flowers have really taken a beating with all of this wind. Saturday was the worst. Last night we had a pretty strong storm move through. This morning when I went out for a run on the trail along the highway, part of the trail was flooded and I had to head back toward town. As I ran through town, I saw the city crew removing tree branches from different areas.

It's pretty nice out now. Hope it stays this way.

Anonymous said...

Don't all slugs like beer? Nancy

Anonymous said...

Humans and otherwise! Kris

Anonymous said...

Are you sure they aren't Danny's buddies or brothers? They like beer too.