Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mainly Plants

The first tomato on the grape plant is turning red...very exciting for me.  Seriously.  I counted about 40 little tomatoes on that plant.  I can't wait to start picking them.  The Roma is coming along too but only about 8 tomatoes.
The rotted stumps with the petunias are blooming nicely.  Better than a couple weeks ago for sure.  Of course I have been fertilizing them and deadheaded more diligently.
Finally, I have a blooming hollyhock!  I have tried to grow them around here with no luck.  I had some in Morris by the garage and I loved them.  This one is a transplant from the school where they grow like weeds.  I had no idea what color it would be but I am very happy with pink.  There is still another to bloom.  It's under the kitchen window at the cabin.
The Morning Glories are beginning to bloom too.  They can't figure out how to crawl up to the top of the pergola.  I may have to assist them.
I picked these old skis up last summer shopping with my mom and aunts in Alex.  They were a boring tan color so I painted them red and white.   I found the little beach sign for $2 recently at Ben Franklin.  Notice the colorful plastic Adirondack chairs?  I've been debating getting a pair of wood but storage and moving them around is an issue.  Today, Dan and I went out for breakfast in Ashby and they had these chairs lined up in front of the hardware store.  The colorful lineup definitely caught my eye and decided it would be perfect with the green on the cabin.  Another nice thing about these is that you can plunk them down in the lake, not to mention stacking them all on top of each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, come over and get some other kinds of holly hocks. I have so many colors and different kinds of petals. Happy b-day tomorrow. HOpe you have a great day. thought I might see you at Mike and Jana's shower this aft. Was a nice day. she seems like a real sweetheart. Kris