Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Classroom in Progress

I inherited this double sided bookshelf and I love it.  In the background you can see my desk with a new coat of blackboard paint on the front.  I've had this desk since I began teaching 23 years ago.  My how time flies!  The digital projector screen is mounted above Lily the mouse's head.  There's lots of space for all the kids to sit on the floor and preview websites or our new math program that is on-line!  I'm looking for a little rug to put in this space, maybe I'll find something cute at IKEA tomorrow.
This area in the back corner of the room is called our meeting area.  There is a curved bench just like the one we had in my old school in Cyrus.  We take turns here one day for the boys and the next for the girls, that way it doesn't get so crowded on the floor.
To the left of the door you can see my teacher and student computer.  I have 18 first graders this year.  I use my overhead and digital projecter quite a bit.
So, here's the big mess.  I have lots of storage in the back but have quite a few boxes to go through and second grade material that needs to be OUT of there.  After this picture, I did make some progress here.  Look at the little brown wooden chairs around the round table...aren't they precious!  Another wonderful thing I inherited.  So, now you've seen my new first grade classroom. It's the third room I've been at in Elbow.  It's a lot of working moving everything you have and I hope I don't have to do it again for at least a few more years!  I'll snap some more photo's when it's ready to go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, I love your classroom! I would be so thrilled if the twins had you for a teacher. I hope the parents appreciate you!
Danette

Anonymous said...

WOW! You have done a ton of work in your classroom. The kids in your class will have a great year because you are a great teacher! Ann

Laurie said...

Thank you, Danette & Ann!!! You are so nice! I do enjoy getting the classroom set up every fall, maybe because of the decorating element!! I hope to get my supplies/books super organized because it makes the year go so much easier. During the school year I'm usually too busy/exhausted to do much organizing!

Anonymous said...

Love the special touches you add when you decorate the room for the kids. I've got a "Welcome to 1st Grade" banner that I'll send with Dan this week and maybe you'll have one more spot for it.
Shelly

Laurie said...

Thank you Shelly!!