Monday, June 9, 2008

Italian Meatballs

On Sunday, I found a yummy recipe for meatballs.  It made almost 40 so I put most of them in the freezer for quick meals this summer.  They got a lot of good reviews on allrecipes.com and we thought they were great too.

Italian Meatballs
1 pound lean hamburger
1 pound Italian ground sausage
2 eggs
2 cups of Italian bread crumbs (I used Sara Lee's wheat buns)
2 T fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
2 T fresh chopped oregano
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup of parmesan or romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I use lots of pepper)
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup  warm water
Mix it all up and form meatballs the size of golf balls.  Brown them in some olive oil in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-30 mn or so until they get brown.  I used my convection oven so it only took about 20.  I used a pan for bars with about  1/4 cup of olive oil.  
Let them cool, then freeze.  When you're ready to use, defrost and cook them in your spaghetti sauce for 20 mn or so.  They are very moist.  Would be good in a meatball sandwich or as a meat filling in many Italian pasta dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A couple times a year I make a large batch of meatballs and spaghetti sauce. I use a recipe from Giada. Good stuff.

Shari