Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tending/Battling the Yard

How many calories do you think you burn working in the yard or gardening for 8 hours?  I went out at noon today took a one hour break for dinner at 6, watched Reba and friends on a recorded Oprah and talked to Dan during that break, back outside at 7 until 9pm.  I got a lot of the flowers potted and used some chunks of hostas for accents in pots too.  Put them back in the ground before it freezes and they'll be just fine.  
I had a ton of weeding to do and it pulled up so nice because the dirt is so wet.  From 7-9 I went back out to the woods to clear buckthorn and I'm well over half done now.  I will take another picture so you can see how much nicer it looks without all the buckthorn, you can really see the depth to the woods now and I like that.  At a buckthorn website they recommend pulling buckthorn up by the roots if possible so I did that whenever possible but most were too large already. 
 I think I'll be a little sore tomorrow but as long I manage to stay poison ivy free that's the main thing.  I suppose I should spray that.  Right before I was going to head in I noticed all the bare spots on the lawn and remembered I had purchased grass seed.  It's supposed to rain again tomorrow so I decided to seed all those spots including about 10 bare spots where stepping stones used to be.  That was probably the hardest work of all but if my grass grows it will be worth it.  I am now going to bed with a magazine.  Good night!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was motivated to do that type of exercise. I'd have a nicer looking yard if I did. Yours looks great.

We worked on decluttering today. I have tons of books that I'll be bringing into my school this week. We spent a lot of time in Ellen's room. Tomorrow I'm going after Carly's.

Shari