Saturday, January 19, 2008

Green Post #3

7. This fall I purchased 2 packs of fluorescent bulbs to replace the standard bulbs as they go out.  I'm tempted to replace them before they go out but have decided to wait.  All the nightlights that we have purchased are low energy users too and will last for years.

8. Dan works from home whenever possible.  He now drives to Mpls every other week instead of weekly starting last October reducing miles by 600 miles per month.

9. In the summer I dry clothes on the line whenever possible.  I did a post on this earlier but it's one of my favorite green tips.  We also dry on a line down in the basement for certain items like dresses, skirts or shirts.  Towels, however, I have to do in the dryer.  They just get too stiff.

10. I buy books, puzzles, & games for school at thrift stores.  It's economical and green.  I also tell the kids where I purchased the items and talk about how that is a good place to shop.  They know about the thrift store and a couple of kids have told me that they've been there and want to know when I'll be working there so they can visit me there.  :)  Kind of funny!

2 comments:

Shari said...

We've also been working on replacing all of our bulbs as they go out the past year or so. Paul just put in a couple downstairs about a week ago.

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad gave us some last winter so that got me started I guess. So I have a couple in use already and we put a couple in the cabin too. Walmart has them at a decent price.
Laurie