Tuesday, January 22, 2008

West side of the lake

There's no moon in this photo, unfortunately, but has anyone noticed the full moon in the last couple days?  It's been so light out at night and it looks so cool outside with the shadows cast by the trees.  This morning, a perfect full moon was just above the horizon in the west. I enjoyed the view all the way to work.  There were a couple of places where I was really wishing for my camera as it would have been an amazing picture. I'm putting my camera back in my purse so it will be ready next time.  
If you pay attention to my book list on the left you will see that I had to put down Eat, Pray, Love or was it Pray, Eat, Love...anyway the author really started to irritate me after about 3 stories and by pg 50 I had to stop and read reviews on Amazon to see if it was just me.  It seems people either give it 1 star or 5.  I decided to stick with her through Italy and that was almost halfway through.  I skimmed a little more as I was curious about her meeting with God and then couldn't take her anymore.   It went back to the library today.  Nancy, you will have to let me know what you think when you read it for book club in a couple months.  Anyone else read this one?
My class took their winter NWEA math test today or MAP as it's also called.  I was so happy that they did a GREAT job.  I motivated them a little with the promise of brownies if they made their goals and they surpassed them by quite a bit which meant I also would bring in something to drink.  So I have caffeine free soda and brownies for them tomorrow.  We test them so much that a little extra motivation is required unfortunately.  Reading tests are on Thursday, luckily we don't have to do winter language testing.  I'll probably use free time as a reading motivation.  They can never get enough of that.
A Country Home magazine came in the mail today so I am going to get my pajamas on and enjoy that.   I only get 2 magazines now and when Domino runs out I will not renew.  I pass it along to the library as it's a little too modern for me.  It was a super cheap subscription on Ebay which I highly recommend checking out.

3 comments:

jen said...

Hi Laurie-
We definitely noticed the full moon this morning...Kelsey said, "look at the big moon, mommy!" It was amazing. Hope you are having a good week:)

Unknown said...

I almost picked up Eat Pray Love yesterday while browsing at Sam's, glad I didn't, I'm reading a book (or actually a book of short stories) by Jennifer Weiner called Guy Not Taken.. but the short stories thing is not floating my boat so thinking of going back to Jodi Picoult books.. I'll check out your list and let you know what I decide!

Joni

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't pay for the book. I'm reading "The Sisters Grimm" to my class. We are about 90 pages into it and they love it.

The presenters at the workshop we attended on Monday were very anti-NCLB. One of them referred to it as "No child Left Untested." He was very critical of the role that text-book companies have in this agenda. I was glad to hear him address this because I have really started to question why one particular textbook series aligns so closely with the math standards. I'm starting to feel hopeful that this awful phase in education will come to an end.

A plate of brownies might make me feel a little better about it.

Shari