Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Reducing Consumer Consumption

Do you think we spend too much on stuff we don't really need?  I'll confess that I do although I do like shopping at a thrift/consignment store so I'm not so bad.

Nancy sent this link about people who have dedicated a year to living without buying new items excluding food, wine and entertainment.   I can relate to the woman who talks about Target.  Too many tempting items there, especially on their endcaps.  

The Compact

Here's the article that was in the Star Tribune today about the same idea.  

It does feel good to get rid of items you don't want or need anymore but it doesn't help if you just go out and buy more stuff.  In France, women invest in quality clothing, wear it often and for years with style. We could learn something from them too.








1 comment:

Shari said...

I'm just not there yet. If I didn't have kids living with me who grow considerably each year I could probably manage it for a good stretch.